Perspective Plan of A.S.B.A.S.J.S.M. College Bela, Ropar
Current Status of college:
An in-depth analysis of activities of the Institute helped in generating a comprehensive understanding of its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. These were prioritized as follows:
- A well-motivated and dedicated staff
- A reputation as the lead Institute.
- A long rich history: oldest college for higher education in the region and serving the society in rural background area since 1975.
- Affordable quality education to cater the needs of the marginalized section of the society.
- High reputation as innovative, progressive institution for conducting assessment, examinations and monitoring of curriculum delivery
- Adequate and reliable ICT infrastructure.
- Promoting girl education with large number of girl students.
- Teaching and Non – teaching Staff Development Scheme in place.
- Existence of a well-structured calendar of activities.
- Strong linkage with industry
- Cooperative management committee
- Low faculty:student ratios
- Well structured feedback system
- Skill oriented education
- Numerous department level associations to conduct plethora of programs and events to enhance student engagement
- Culturally diverse student body which enhances the educational experience and improves cultural awareness.
- Mentor- mentee programme to provide professional socialization and personal support to facilitate success in college and beyond.
- Several initiatives to enhance the environment within the College like green audit.
- Students motivated to conduct myriad of events for the improvement of community like rallies against drug abuse.
- Artistic and Cultural Performances like youth fest, NSS and NCC activities to link the students with their culture and traditions.
- Good track of ISR.
- Spoken tutorials for all students.
- One of the best learning management systems like Moodle.
- Conducive environment for female faculty.
- Emphasis on sustainability and “green campus”.
- LMS, MOODLE
- Low research output.
2 Poorly resourced Research and Publication Unit.
- Weak links with international organizations.
- Weak commitment for policy deployment.
- Unavailability of data on teacher issues.
- Inadequate resources for staff
- Lack of staff in specialized areas e.g. full-time research staff, System Analyst.
- Inadequate use of available research materials.
- Significant cohort of alumni to raise funds yet to be cultivated.
- Some classrooms that are in need of enhancements; limited availability of seminar and meeting rooms.
- Student professionalism is not fully developed.
- Ability to hire & retain faculty.
- Less Library resources.
- Need more funding for library and tutoring services.
- Small college campus only 7 acre land.
- Excellence itself through digital initiatives.
- To efficiently implement MIS
- Mentoring of Colleges in their status as tertiary institutions.
- Engaging development partners on issues.
- Links with other institutes of better performance
- Capacity to better research projects.
- Secure additional alumni support.
- Continue to secure funding to establish and support training programs from external funding sources.
- Develop quality online programs for students.
- Develop greater collaboration between workforce and academic departments.
- To expand interest in academic program and cultural activities.
- Increased value of higher education completion.
- To bridge gap between curricular & societal interests
- Competing Education Institutions.
- Desire of the College for autonomy.
- Government policies on Education.
- Frequent transfer of competent staff.
- Decreases in state funding.
- Competing Teacher Education Institutions.
- Desire of the College for autonomy.
- Government policies on teacher education.
- Frequent transfer of competent staff.
- Decreases in state funding.
Five Year Perspective Plan:
While preparing the present perspective plan, the Bela college has considered following main objectives:
1) NAAC-the observer of quality bench marking in higher education
2) Vision and Mission Statement of Our College.
3) Quality Policy of the College
Objectives of Perspective Plan
Writing a vision document envisages a concerted team effort. Considering the background of our college as an institution imparting quality education, the College has identified the broad aim of perspective plan as follows:
- To institute a sustained quality system embedded with a conscious, consistent and programmed action;
- To create an enabling academic environment for students embedded with sincerity, discipline and commitment;
- To mould humane citizens of the nation;
- To establish globally the brand image of the college;
- To emerge as a model college for quality education.
The aim identified has been to bring three ‘Hs’ together in an integrated manner viz…
Hand (to develop skills)
Head (to gain advanced knowledge)
Heart (to inculcate human values)
To achieve these broad aims, a set of following objectives are identified to be achieved through this perspective plan over the next 5 years:
- To uphold continuously good academic performance;
- To inculcate learner centric and effective teaching learning process;
- To ensure transparency and credibility in the process of students’ evaluation;
- To develop a comprehensive system of student mentoring and student support;
- To take care of horizontal and vertical up gradation of students considering the limits of time and expectations;
- To create a research culture in faculty and students.
- To launch value added and skills development programmes improving the employability of students;
- To motivate students for self-employment and to enable them to emerge as entrepreneurs;
- To involve a friendly, efficient and flawless administrative set up ensuring a smooth day to day functioning;
- To empower faculty about emerging trend in their profession for academic advancement.
The following points focus on the Institutional perspective plan for the next five years:
Teaching and Learning Plan:
- Development of more smart class with state- of- art facilities.
- Extensive use of online Teaching and Learning resources.
- More MoUs for Student Exchange Programmes.
- Start additional UG/PG Programmes.
- Computerize Library and office.
- Strengthen Library be adding with more books and e- journals by providing additional space to the Library.
- Apply for Infrastructure and equipment’s grants Under DST and UGC funding
- Conducting Academic & Professional enchantment programmes.
- Strengthen of the use of ICT and enhancement of the tools in Teaching Learning processes.
- Introduce Best Teacher Award to motivate the teacher to excel in their profession.
- Develop Virtual and Digital Classrooms.
- Organize food festival.
- Start student facility Centre to provide- stationary, Xerox, internet etc. to the students.
- Organize more faculty development programmes.
- Motivate faculty members for research work
- Motivate and depute teachers to Orientation Courses and Refresher Courses
- More focus on students’ welfare activity like Career counseling and guidance center, Training in competitive examinations, Earn and Learn’ schemes for students, Orientation program and skill training etc.
- Flipped class room mode will be designed in which students will be asked to listen lectures at home and class room time will be utilized for more meaningful activities such as discussions, problem solving and application of theory.
- Successful completion of at least one MOOC will be made as a mandatory requirement for awarding degrees. Students will be asked to enroll for free courses on Coursera/Edx/NPTEL/ACADS/SWAYAM.
- Digital lectures for 15 minutes describing latest developments in their fields will be provided to the students to broaden their horizon in their respective fields.
Research and Development Plan:
- Educational linkages in terms of more MoU with premier institutions and take up collaborative research projects
- Promote participation of staff members in FDPs like refreshers and orientation programmes
- Promote inter-disciplinary research
- Set up separate research labs
- Promotion of publication in indexed research journals
- Promote faculty members to have at least one major/ minor project
- Conduct more International Level Conferences and Workshops.
- To construct Research centre and Patent Cell in the college and to strengthen them.
- Motivate faculty to apply for Patents.
- Enhance the research aptitude of teachers and students
- Promote participation in International conferences/ seminars/workshops/symposium
- Submit Proposal for the provision of seed money for the research
- Involve more faculty members and students in research activity.
- Provide research grant to faculty and students.
- Motivate the teachers to participate and provide financial support for international conferences.
- Organize International, National and State level conferences, workshops, seminars etc.
- Enhance Entrepreneurship, job skills to ensure placement.
- Teachers will be motivated to prepare research projects proposals to submit to the funding agencies like UGC, university research cell, DST.
Community Engagement Plan:
- Introduce community service into curriculum of UG programme with credits
- More tie-ups with NGOs
- Adoption of more Villages for community programme
- Assist government and local bodies in Community projects.
- Implement extra-curricular and other activities through N.S.S. and N.C.C etc. to develop the spirit among students to serve the community.
- Engagement of college with local bodies (Zilla Parishads, Gram Panchayats, etc.) and social programmes in the form of consultancy, Rural Water schemes, Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, Swatch Bharat, other government schemes, Gram Panchayat Development Plan preparation, Knowledge input to self-help group, Techniques and Management of solid waste in the city/village, enhancing tourism etc. for the development of society.
Industry Interaction Plan:
- Invite Industry experts for motivating students and provide practical knowledge
- Strengthen Campus placement and training facility by making more industry linkages
- Promote student to work on real projects for industries
- Promote more international students to get admission in college
- More MoU with International Universities/Insitutions for higher studies
- Create awareness about clean and green campus, and to conduct better green audit of the campus.
- The system shall be developed for e-attendance system for automatic attendance recording by a biometric device and server to keep the record for both teachers and students. The IQAC and Academic Council may take final call.
- To send AQAR of the year ……………… to NAAC.
What Bela College is aiming for from Five year perspective plan…
• Development of dynamic curriculum with industry input.
• Professional skills development in students, staff, and Faculty.
• Choice and flexibility in curriculum.
• Participation of industry professionals in teaching.
• Student-centered learning strategies
• Project and research based teaching-learning processes
• New pedagogy methodology
• Motivating teachers for research.
• Scientifically customized learning resources in each discipline.
• Transparent documents between the teachers and students
• Continuous updates of the manuals and lecture notes.
• Compulsory industrial visits/training.
• Software’s for subject domain learning.
• Mini projects for integrating skills.
• Interactive expert lectures.
• Free educational resource.
• Curriculum Implementation and Assessment Norms
• Continuous assessment
• Result Analysis
•Development and Use of new learning resources
• Improved Students attendance
• Improved Library facilities and e-Resources
• Laboratory standards and Manuals
• Closed Loop system i.e. corrective measures through feedback mechanism.
• NAAC accreditation of college & Academic audits.
• Students and teachers of remote colleges to benefit.
• Involvement of other universities in the network for digital learning’s.
• Online certificate courses and remedial exams.
• Career counseling sessions.
• MoUs with other institutes for training.
• Spoken Tutorials and Online freeware
•e-Depository of lectures, presentation, educational videos
• On-line e-courses for learning & audit courses.
Center of Excellence
• Subject/Content updating training
• Pedagogy -Teaching and Learning processes • Industrial Training
• Management skills (Project & Time management)
• Hands-on-skills trainings.
• Financial management training
• Intellectual Property Management
• HR and Interpersonal Communications training.
• Life Skills, communication skills & Professional Skills
• Research Methodology
Industry-Institute Partnership in Innovation.
• Bridging technology gaps between industry and academics.
• Improve employability and entrepreneurship. • Hands on Practical Experience of recent technologies practiced in the industry.
• Faculty development and enrichment.
• Project and research programs.
• Information Processing and Planning of research
Non Teaching Staff Development
• To motivate the students to become entrepreneurs.
• To promote science and technology development
• To support ‘Start up’ for traditional knowledge
• Hands-on-skills trainings
• Deputation for industrial training
• Confidence and Self-esteem building
•HR and Interpersonal Communications training
• Qualification improvement
Training and Placement
• Create platform for placement through campus interview.
• Create equal opportunity for students and industries in urban as well as in rural areas.
Promote and boost the ability of faculty & students towards innovation
• Innovation for product, process or system.
• Technology Transfer support